Tuesday, January 2, 2007

 

Introduction

I found out about the Michigan Apprentice Competition through the e-TrueBlue newsletter and an e-mail my academic adviser sent out. When I first heard about it, I thought it sounded cool, so I looked into it. At that time, I was really busy with exams and papers, so I put off filling out the application for much needed study time. I also thought that everyone else on campus would apply and I would not have a chance, so it was not on top of my priority list. Luckily, they extended the deadline and I was able to devote time into answering the many difficult application questions. My work paid off and I was selected as a finalist. I could not believe it!

The next step was the interview. I was extremely nervous as I have little experience interviewing, but it turned out my worries were for nothing. Kathleen and Kathy were very friendly and the interview was more laid back than I expected.

The online voting was my next challenge. I harassed everyone I knew to vote for me in person, via Facebook and in e-mails. I probably annoyed some, but most people who saw me that week smiled and told me they voted for me.

When I found out I won, I was beyond excited and still am. I am going to Seattle this Thursday to shadow The Seattle Post-Intelligencer journalists Phuong Le, Robert McClure and Keri Murakami. I have been reading their stories online over break and cannot wait to meet them.

Well, I suppose I should be getting to bed. Currently, I am at home in the U.P. and have to drive 10 hours back to Ann Arbor tomorrow. Not fun, but at least I'll have the company of two fellow Yoopers.

Watch for another update tomorrow!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?